DB_BLOCK_SIZE and RAID5

From: Eric Fenderbosch <efender_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 17:22:09 -0400

I've got a client that chose to install Oracle8 on a RAID5 (hardware) disk. Would setting DB_BLOCK_SIZE to the stripe size help performance? Currently, it is 8 K and the stripe size is 64 K. Operations such as adding datafiles are extremely slow. Getting rid of RAID5 is not an option, yet. We may be able to go to RAID 10 or straight mirroring in the future, but not right now. Any suggestions?

Thanks. Received on Tue Aug 03 1999 - 16:22:09 CDT