Re: trouble starting db instance

From: Sudarshan Sampath <ssampath_at_scr.siemens.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 16:50:58 -0400

I get this problem frequently. There are two ways to get rid of this:

  1. Find out the IPC resources that your system consumes. Delete the semaphores and Shared memory locks that other users place on the system. The command to do this (on HP-UX) is ipcrm -s (for semaphore sets).
    > ipcs -bc will give you a detailed listing of all the IPC's that your
    system is currently using. You may find the corresponding command for your operating system and fix the problem immediately.
  2. Reconfigure the kernel the increase the number of semaphore sets to a larger number.

Oracle usually requires a minimum number of flags for its processes. I believe its around 21 semaphore sets when starting up a fresh instance.

-Sudarshan