Re: Urgent: Oracle 8i export files dont work with Oracle 8.0.5

From: Atif <atif55_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 17:06:41 GMT

No, it did not work.

  1. I changed the init.ora file, twice. Once with with compat = 8.0.5.0 like you suggested and once with compat = 8.0.5.1.0 , which is the version of Oracle server when I want to take my table to.
  2. I ran the catexp.sql from 8.0.5.

Since the older Oracle 8.0.5 is on another machine, I tried using imp from there like this:

 imp user/password_at_ORCL_M file=monkey.dmp tables=monkey;

Import: Release 8.0.5.1.0 - Production on Tue Aug 3 12:4:49 1999 (c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. Connected to: Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production With the Partitioning and Java options
PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
Segmentation fault

As you can see it segfaults for reason not known to me. I tried connecting from an old Oracle 7 database ( I had already run catexp7.sql on Oracle 8i) and it worked fine. I have not been able to figure out why I cannot connect from the machine I need to connect from, the 8.0.5 machine. The only thing I can think of is that the SID=ORCL on both these machines. Can that keep the databases from talking to each other. I think I have had that before, without problems, as long the databases are different.

So after giving up on that, I tried running Oracle i's exp on the new machine but got errors like the following: "invalid column name" and exp aborted. So I ran 8i's catexp.sql and I was able to run exp successfully. But when I took the file to the older 8.0.5 machine I kept getting errors like the following when I ran imp there:

IMP-00008: unrecognized statement in the export file:

IMP-00008: unrecognized statement in the export file:

IMP-00008: unrecognized statement in the export file:   5
IMP-00008: unrecognized statement in the export file:   )
.
.

I do have the older Oracle install on the 8i machine sitting in a directory. But I haven't quite figured out how to run the old Oracle's binaries. If I changed the library path with ldconfig to where 8i's libs are searched first, exp and imp of the older Oracle segfault. If I make 805's libs come first in the search Oracle 8i starts complaining and throws off exp and imp of older Oracle.

If it was just one file, I would have taken to the Oracle 7 machine and be done with it. I need this daily and had a script copy the table from one machine to another.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Atif

In article <37A70429.830DB09A_at_excite.com>,   tmgn <tmgn_at_excite.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is going to work 100% but you can give it a Try :
>
> 1. Set the Compatible parameter in U'r 8i init.ora file = 8.0.5.0
> 2.Bounce the Database and export using 8i 'exp' binary
> 3. Run the Oracle 8.0.5 catexp.sql against the 8i Database to create
> those views used by 8.0.5
> 4.Import into 8.0.5 Database using the 8.0.5 'imp' binary.
>
> This has worked for me in doing cross version export/imports
especially
> from a Higher version to lower one..
>
> If it doesnt, Oracle Support is the Best Bet...
>
> All the Best,
>
> -Thiru
>
> Atif wrote:
>
> > From an Oracle 8i database under Linux, I exported a
> > simple table using :
> >
> > exp user/password file=monkey.dmp compress=y tables=monkey;
> >
> > and then tried importing it under Oracle 8.0.5 under Linux
> > without any luck using the following:
> >
> > imp user/password file=monkey.dmp buffer=64000 commit=Y
fromuser=user
> > touser=user
> >
> > But I get all kinds of garbage errors. It seems that the
> > dumps are not compatible. This is contrary to what Oracle
> > migration docs say.
> >
> > Does anybody have a solution to this problem?
> >
> > Thanks a million in advance.
> >
> > Atif

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Aug 03 1999 - 12:06:41 CDT