Re: Rollback segment sizing on Ora7 vs. Ora8

From: Kevin A Lewis <KevinALewis_at_Hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 15:01:40 +0100

I believe the thread Jonathan is talking about was mine.

I had a version 7.3.4 database running SAP/R3 which was upgraded to version 8.0.5 (which you need to do moving between versions 3.0d and 4.0b of SAP/R3). This occasioned a MASSIVE increase in the amount of rollback generated. I even asked Oracle on Metalink for assistence.

The best response I got was that the structure of Oracle 8 rolback has change considerably and that with the additional increase in the ROWID that amount of data to be stored is much greater. Thus more space required for rollback.

So it should be a simple matter of making the normal checks for space in tablespaces, space in datafiles, number of extents approaching maximum etc. You could go over the top and reign the figures in once you have the routines working again.

Also you need to consider what the others have said about all the segments being available and the system being otherwise quiet (so that this process gets the best use of the segment in question)

Regards

--
Kevin A Lewis (BOCM PAULS LTD - Animal Feed Manufacturer - Ipswich England)

                        <KevinALewis_at_HotMail.com>

The views expressed herein by the author of this document are not necessarily those of BOCM PAULS Ltd. Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:933669078.7584.3.nnrp-01.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk...