Re: trouble starting db instance

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 20:09:42 +0200

In article <37A5D941.6D723733_at_us.ibm.com>, pnlam_at_us.ibm.com says...
> I supposed they are created in this /tmp directory everytime the system is
> booted? I have not changed my semaphores in /etc/system for a while.
>
> Any idea what I must do to get the instance started, again?
>
> Regards,
>
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>
> > Semaphores are usually created on the /tmp file system.
> >
> > Hth,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >
> > Phong Lam <pnlam_at_us.ibm.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > When I tried to start a 7.3.4 instance, I get the following message:
> > >
> > > ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable to get first semaphore set.
> > > SVR4 error: 28: No space left on device
> > > Additional information: 1
> > >
> > > What does this mean? Is my semaphores set too low? Do I actually
> > > running out of disk space? I check on the system with "df -k " command,
> > > and it shows that I have the following:
> > >
> > > / 67% 57MB free
> > > /usr 70% 187MB
> > > /export 30% 2GB (this is where I installed Oracle 7.3.4)
> > >
> > > I'm using the default semaphore setting recommended with oracle
> > > installation guide. My database have no data tables, other than
> > > standard oracle tables.

Find the full filesystem and clean it up. Most likely it will be /tmp. Happened to me once. Cleaning up should be sufficient to be able to restart the database. The error message usually is correct and to the point.

Regards Received on Mon Aug 02 1999 - 13:09:42 CDT