Re: Net8 connection problem through IP translation

From: Harald Wakonig <wakonig_at_csi.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 19:23:49 +0200

Hi,

> + Outside Oracle clients (IP 156.80.x.x) can NOT access Oracle server
> (IP 10.1.x.5) inside lab via Net8. From outside host, I can ping inside
> Oracle server, and can also tnsping inside server as well (using
> translated IP 156.80.x.5); Net8 clients (Net8 Assistant & sqlplus)
> failed.

What about following thoughts:

Hi,

I will try to explain you, WHY that happens.

Please let me know, which of my ideas did work - or what other solutions you got!.

Your outside's clients SQL*Net generates a connect-string ((Address=(host=public_hostname.domain)(SID=...)... which is sent as payload (therefore public_hostname or public_IP_addr is NOT translated) .

This connect-string is sent to the listener, who runs at and listens on HOST=internal_hostname.domain...

The listener DOES get the request, but he thinks: I am not listening for that public_hostname ....

(Fact: A listener can reside on an other server then the database it serves...)

Try following - that worked for me:

Instead of one line

(address=...)

use 2 lines (addres=...) and add before and address_list - line

(description =
  (address_list =
    (address = ...)
    (address = ...)
  )
  (connect_data=(sid=db1))
  (source_route = yes)
)

put in one address= the hostname public_hostname, in the second the internal_hostname or IP-Nr.
Ok, I have to confess, that sometimes the idea of address-translation is to HIDE the internal address...

Or try to install Connection-Manager on or behind the firewall...

Or try to add the external hostname/IP-address to the listener.ora-file!

Good Luck,

Harald Received on Mon Aug 02 1999 - 12:23:49 CDT