Re: Dedicated vs. MTS

From: tmgn <tmgn_at_excite.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 12:22:33 -0400

Hi there,

It depends upon what sort of Middleware you use.

If the Middleware can prespawn multiple Database Dispatchers which dynamically adjust in number according to the Incoming traffic, then you dont need to have MTS at the Oracle end.

In this Case, Dedicated Server Configuration or PreSpawned Dedicated Servers would yield a better performance becos the Connections from the Middleware are prespawned and does not drastically vary.

On the Other hand, if the Middleware is not capable of doing this, then Most of the Web sessions(from my experience) are short and many. Having PreSpawned Dispatchers and Server Processes will definetely help in this case.

The Client Machines can always request a Dedicated Session even if the Server is operated in MTS mode( for eg for Content loading etc)

For the MTS activity , Check V$MTS , v$Shared_server , V$circuit ,v$DISPATCHER etc . This will tell you if you need to Spawn more Dispatchers or Server processes or if they are idle , consuming too much of Memory..

You need to Check System's Memory usage before deciding to stick with Dedicated Servers..

Hope this helps..

-Thiru