Re: Backup Controlfile / Recover Database Question

From: Pat Minnis <pminnis_at_maverick.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 05:53:42 GMT

If you were to lose controlfiles and a datafile, I don't think recreating the controlfile would work. In this case, a recent backup of the controlfile would allow you to recover to the point in time that the last binary backup of the controlfile was done. So doing a binary backup of the controlfile now and then would be a good safety measure -- especially when the database structure changes (or it's back to the old structure).

Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:933185060.7063.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl...
> Hi Bill,
>
> Actually a control file is what it says: it has control information . The
> control information amongst others is the last SCN (system commit number)
> and the latest redo log sequence. It is used to determine what redo log
> files (archived or online) you need.
> If you wouldn't have used the using backup controlfile (which means: the
> controlfile is NOT current, it is from a backup) it would have started
> asking for redo log files.
> In this case because you used
> a) resetlogs, which did reset the redo log sequence number to 1 (or 0)
> b) using backup controlfile
> recovery didn't make any assumptions and simply read through all what was
> supplied.
> So, you did use the backup controlfile in a sense.
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> Bill Buchan <bill.buchan_at_ossian.net> wrote in message
> > I'm looking for help with the purpose of binary controlfile backups.
What