Re: RAID Storage for Oracle

From: Pat Minnis <pminnis_at_maverick.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 05:38:06 GMT

I picked this message in the thread to reply from since it mentions an issue with striping that too many DBA's seem to ignore.

You can't stripe the whole thing and expect to recover to the current point in time if a disk crash occurs. To the last backup yes, but not any further than that. Hot backups? Forget it.

Jeff Hunter <jeffh_at_btitelecom.net> wrote in message news:37a1182f_at_defiant.btitelecom.net...
> Yikes! A serious performance hit? No, RAID 5 is not a serious performance
> hit in some circumstances. There is, however overhead associated with
RAID