Re: SEQUENCES- How do I make use of them?

From: <timcuth_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 02:30:24 GMT

"Jim" <not_a_valid_address_at_email.net> :

> How do I make use of sequences?
>
> I created an ERD, then transformed & generated the associated database
> objects.
> I can see that the sequence tables were created, but they don't appear to
be
> associated with any of the "live" data tables...
>
> I'm new to Oracle, but experienced with various RDBMS products.
> I'd expect to see either some declarative syntax, some trigger code, or
> something to associated the sequences with the associated PK columns.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks In Advance for any help!
>
> Jim

Sequences in Oracle have no real connection to any particular table. In fact, you may use the same sequence for multiple tables, if all you're interested in is a unique sequence number for each row.

You get the sequence number by inserting as a column value: sequence_name.next_val

Tim Received on Sun Aug 01 1999 - 21:30:24 CDT