Re: Oracle 7 and 8 on the same server

From: Hans-Friedrich Pfeiffer <Pfeiffer.Hans-Friedrich_at_t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 01:09:16 +0200

NetComrade wrote:
> =

> Hi folks,
> =

> Is it possible to have Oracle 7 and 8 on the same server installed and
> running?
> =

> Thanx
> ---------------
> Andrey Dmitriev eFax: (978) 383-5892 Daytime: (917) 373-5417
> AOL: NetComrade ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email

Hi ,

of course it is possible. I do so on Solaris ( any UNIX system you want ).
Choose different unix users ( oracle7 , oracle8i, etc ), use alo different
dba groups ( dba7, dba8 , ... ) and install the software in different locations.

You should pay attention when usind SQL*Net 2 or Net8. IN this case you MUST
define different ports for the listener ( I won´t explain the procedure=

here,
would take too much time and space ). When using different ports for the listener,
DO NOT FORGET to set the right ports in tnsnames.ora. =

Until now, I had never problems for different ORA versions on the same server.

Greetings,

Hans Pfeiffer Received on Sun Aug 01 1999 - 18:09:16 CDT