Re: SEQUENCES- How do I make use of them?

From: Brian <btallon_at_hawking.org>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 15:18:07 GMT

I"m certainly no expert when it comes to Oracle, but I"ve found them very useful for creating primary keys when entering data that wouldn't otherwise have an unique key. For instance, I just finished a program for a wheel company. I had the following tables:

wheels --with associated columns
cars --with associated columns
fit -- with wheel_id, car_id and a fit_id <<<<----this is where the sequence came in.

The wheel_id and car_id where both foreign keys, but to make sure there was a primary key in the fit table, I used fit_id_sq.NextVal for the primary key.

Brian

http://www.hawking.org
btallon_at_hawking.org
btallon_at_falconry.org