Re: oracle7.3 + VB5 + OLEDB ??

From: Richard Gowan <roxl_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 23:40:02 +1000

The original DAO seemed pretty dependant on a low latency network link, ie it worked (mostly) OK over a local link but not with the DB and client in different countries (the app was originally intended to be single user and local). I'm not really a VB programmer but I did some quick testing with RDO and it seemed significantly faster... This was with VB4 though, some time back now. RDO v1 was totally unusable also - but that won't bother you : >

(Course if you know that you're going to run over a slow link, that'd be sure grounds for doing a web development in the technology of your choice!!!)

Another problem area seems to be ODBC drivers - collegues found problems with both MS and Oracle versions (eventually using Intersolv I believe - which becomes a client cost).

Headaches all round... So I'd definitely consider Oracle Objects for OLE as it runs without ODBC and hence there's less layers to debug/tune if this becomes necessary. If you're paranoid or it's a reasonably big app, you may want to wrap your DB routines up, so's they can be quickly replaced in case of problems.

Regards,

Richard Gowan Received on Sun Aug 01 1999 - 08:40:02 CDT