Re: Oracle #1? Then why are these still missing...

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 18:49:10 +0800

kevin moriarty wrote:

> I'm a newbie; been doing oracle for 3 months. After using access, paradox,
> and oracle I've com to this insight: Oracle is less user friendly, much
> slower to develope in, more difficult to get information on, more expensive
> to use, pays better, and handles large tables better.
>
> Thomas Kyte wrote in message <37a90280.21331683_at_newshost.us.oracle.com>...
> >A copy of this was sent to killer796_at_yahoo.com
> >(if that email address didn't require changing)
> >On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 18:53:57 GMT, you wrote:
> >
> >>Um, I'm glad like you guys have a forum to vent your rage. Better here
> >>than on the highway. But do you think maybe you could turn your 200
> >>collective years of experience to answering some oracle questions. I
> >>posted one this morning (Renaming Columns 8i) and there has been no
> >>solutions posted from any of you eminent experts.
> >>

> >can't answer the impossible (actually, if you read this thread -- you'd
> know
> >that you cannot rename a column :)
> >
> >rename of a column doesn't exist.
> >
> >Use a view, rename the table, create a view the name of the table, fix the
> >column name in the view.
> >

> >>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >>Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
> >

> >--
> >See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to
> Oracle8i'...
> >Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June
> 21'st
> >
> >Thomas Kyte tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
> >Oracle Service Industries Reston, VA USA
> >
> >Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle
> Corporation

you forgot to say..

..."and oracle has a superb read consistency model, an extremely robust backup and recovery mechanism, support for multiple cpus and multiple machines, a hot standy facility, has less platform dependence and a squillion other things that I have never seen in Paradox"

Just my $0.02

:-)
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Sat Jul 31 1999 - 05:49:10 CDT