Re: Linux -v- NT for 8.0.5 + OAS 4.0.7 + Apache/IIS ??

From: Michael <moores_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 17:26:42 GMT

and WHY WOULD YOU CARE ABOUT THIS for THIS APPLICATION TYPE?

imagine how much network bandwidth you would need to get near this linux stack "bottleneck".
the bottleneck is your network interface; your CPU will wait and wait and wait for work to do.
even if you web pages were tiny, without any images, you would still never have a problem.

it's almost moot anyhow cause the stack issue, which could cause a bottleneck in other types of aplications, is being fixed.

--michael

In article <7lfaoa$8l8$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   bonanos_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> Markus Korn <markus.korn_at_at.siemens.de> wrote:
> > 1) Why NT for the database server?
> > I have test it: identical machines, Oracle 8.0.5
> > NT4 SP3 vs SuSe Linux 6.0
> > i have used a benchmark test from ix, (www.heise.de/ix)
>
> > Linux is in some cases a little bit slower, but in summary
> > much faster than NT (on single Prozessor Machines)
>
> Basically why I am saying NT is because of webserver/oracle
combination
> that the poster wants to set up.
>
> What I understand from the results/analysis of the benchmark that I
read
> is that the linux operating systems ip/stack (note: I haven't indepth
> technical knowledge of tcp/ip/networking) is not multithreaded or
> suchlike. therfore when servicing multiple http requests, the
operating
> system peaks at a certain level. This has nothing to do with Oracle,
and
> NT does not suffer from this problem.
>
> The other consideration in making my suggestion is that Oracle has
just
> recently been released on Linux, so I assume that there may still be
> bugs etc.
>
> > Why NT as a os for the webserver? Take a look to
> > www.heise.de/ct there are the latest (!!!not microsoft sponsored!!!)
> > performance results.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Sat Jul 31 1999 - 12:26:42 CDT