Re: RAID Storage for Oracle

From: Sanjeev Sagar <sanjeev_sagar_at_sabre.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:15:54 -0500

As per my knowledge DBMS and RAID5 does not go very well. There have been very detailed discussion on RAID so far. You can dig out at deja.com site

Some of the things you need to consider even if you want to use RAID5.

  1. What will be the strip block size? If your DB_BLOCK_SIZE is 8K then strip your RAID at 8K block size.
  2. What you will do if your 2 disk got crashed at the same time?
  3. Not seem to be good for very long dynamic reads.

Just FYI

Sanjeev K. Sagar