Re: Renaming Columns 8i

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:00:54 -0700

8i brought the drop column command, not a rename column. However, you can achieve something basically the same by doing a drop column, followed by an add column. The only issue with this is that what you're dropping is a long column, so if you tell Oracle to just ignore it rather than physically remove the data (the two options you have with drop column), the storage may blow out.

HTH. Pete

richl796_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> I'm trying to rename a column in a table and
> can't find the syntax for it in the
> documentation. I'm running 8i so I know this is
> new functionality that has been added for this
> release. I'm trying to move a long datatype from
> one table to another using the sql*plus copy
> command but the column names have to be the same
> on both tables. So I'll have to move the data
> then rename unless there is an easier way I don't
> know about.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Rich

Regards