Re: RAID Storage for Oracle

From: Liz Reen <Liz_at_reading.news>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 10:50:49 -0400

In article <19990728164900.25863.00003279_at_ng-bg1.aol.com>, fishinjt_at_aol.com says...
> these particular filesystems. While the RAID5 may have some performance hit
> the ability to keep going after a disk loss makes me feel a lot better.....
> But for things like logs, arch, temp space, roll backs I would avoid RAID 5.

Yes, you can continue after a disk hit with RAID 5, but doing that gives new meaning to slooooow! Raid 5 must recalculate the missing data for every read.

Raid 0+1 striped mirrorsets gives you all of the performance of striping with the protection of mirroring.

Liz

--
My real address is L R E E N a t P E R R I E R G R O U P dot C O M Received on Fri Jul 30 1999 - 09:50:49 CDT