Re: HELP!!! Change User ID

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 06:48:11 +0200

Bad luck ....
You can't change it, as it is used in numerous data dictionary tables by Oracle itself. You will inevitably screw up the data dictionary. And of course, updating the dictionary directly is unsupported. The only option you have (if you are not changing platform at the same time) is moving the physical database, issue alter database backup controlfile to trace on the old database first, move it, edit the trace file into a correct create controlfile script for your new database etc. I'm not trying to preach, and you probably are aware of your mistake. I never fell into the temptation of using the user_id because I knew beforehand what I would be getting into.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA