INSERT INTO......SELECT*FROM.

From: Juan Carlos <jc_va_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:07:45 -0700

INSERT INTO TABLE1
SELECT * FROM TABLE2
/

TABLE1 and TABLE2 are identical, except TABLE2 has one more column (date/time stamp column) so we get ORA-00913: too many values. Are we stuck with having to list each column in the SELECT clause, of which there are many and varying? We want to genericize it so it won't require maintenance as the database structure changes. TABLE2 will always mirror TABLE1 by regularly dropping/re-creating from TABLE1, but with the extra date/time stamp tacked on.

Thanks! Received on Thu Jul 29 1999 - 16:07:45 CDT