Re: Listener vs SQLNet

From: <chriss_at_enteract.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 16:10:32 GMT

Thank you very much to both of you. This helped to clarify a few things on our end. I always get frustrated working with somebody and they use terminology in a way that shows they obviously don't know what they are talking about ... Likewise I dont want to be on the opposite end. I'm a networking person myself, but would like to spend a lot more time with Oracle in the future.

In article <OIMn3.168$js3.624_at_newsfeed.slurp.net>,   "Pradhan" <empradhan_at_dplus.net> wrote:
> HI
>
> chriss_at_enteract.com wrote in message <7nnrvh$fid$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >Hi, I know this is an anal newbie question but it's causing some
> >miscommunications between us and a company we're working with.
> >
> >Are the "Oracle Listener" and "SQLNet" one in the same?
>
> They are not same. As you asked in next question listener is
> a service (app) running in server and SqlNet is a protocol
> used by clients to talk to server.
>
> Is the
> >listener an application and SQLNet the protocol it uses?
>
> yes listener is a service and SqlNet is is protocol.
>
> Or are they
> >just referring different versions of the same product (e.g. 'SQLNet'
is
> >the Oracle 8i version of what 'Listener' was in Oracle 7) Or are they
> >actually seperate entites?
>
> They are separate entities...
> >
> >Thanks in advance for any help.
> >

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
>
> Hope this help
> thanks
> pradhan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jul 29 1999 - 11:10:32 CDT