Re: segment violation and bus error

From: <karsten_schmidt_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 12:59:06 GMT

Eric,

Dunno whether this is a lot of help for you - maybe this will point you in the right direction:

> Just installed Oracle 7.2 on Solaris 2.6 server.
> Every thing seems OK when we load small
tables. When we try to load a large
> table (about 800 Mbytes) we get:
>
> segment violation error
> bus error

This is an OS error, telling you that the app is trying access to data in memory with invalid adresses.
(e.g., long values have to be aligned at 4-Byte Boundaries, their address must be a multiple of 4.)
In C programs this is often caused by invalid casts, e.g. casting a char* to long.

Not sure whether there is anything you can fix yourself, you might need an oracle patch for that.

How do you load your data? maybe switching from export to sql loader or vice versa will work around the problem.

Good Luck!
Karsten

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jul 29 1999 - 07:59:06 CDT