Re: Oracle #1? Then why are these still missing...

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 08:29:30 -0400

Tom Kingsley wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:51:01 -0400, Kenneth C Stahl
> <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com> wrote:
>
> >My biggest mistake was in not noticing the 'uk' in the originator's email
> >address. No wonder the message contained so much whining.
> I cannot believe how anyone could be so shallow and blatantly racist
> simply because you lost an argument. What's UK got to do with Oracle
> lacking functionality?
> >
> >How many years have you been around programming 2? 5? Almost twenty years of
> >experience has shown me that I have always been able to satisfy the
> >requirements of the project design if I'm willing to work hard and not spend
> >all of my time moaning and complaining about what some environment lacks.
> So 20 years "experience" makes you better, I think not. It is common
> knowledge that most of the World's best developers / innovators are
> under 30. Which is why the likes of Lotus, Microsoft, Oracle hire
> them. I would suggest 20 years makes you stuck in your old ways.

The young ones are hired because they are cheap. Once they get experience they go to places where the pay is better. Also, you have nothing to back you up in your statement that the young ones are better. Hiring trends for senior programmers will not provide any evidence that you can use. The reason why senior, experienced programmers make more money is because they are better. The new young crop is good for coming up with neat web sites, search engines, etc. but I wonder if any of the Fortune 500 would trust them with their Payroll and Accouting systems? Seems like most of them are being run by seasoned professionals with years and years of experience.

"I think not" seems to apply quite adequately to your arguments. Remember - you are the one that included that phrase, not me.

>As for Feuerstein the "expert" - he is another whiner and complainer and there

> >are many instances in his book which indicate that he, like you, simply does
> >not understand how the Oracle rdbms and tools operate. I keep his book handy
> >for a quick refernence on some algorithms but I'd be embarrassed to turn in a
> >project where I coded according to his methods and style. My employers expect
> >better quality and I give it to them. Feurerstein's only claim to fame is that
> >he wrote a book that got published by O'Reilly and is therefore widely
> >available. That does not make him an expert. As for his contention that pl/sql
> >is a "programming language" rather than just a progra
> Feuerstein is an expert, whines where? I doubt very much that your
> code is better quality than his. Why is he World Renowned in Oracle
> circles giving seminars, lectures writing papers and contributing his
> experience, and yet I've never heard of you?

Because he is more interested in being "world renowned" and traveling around. I like sitting at my desk and solving problems for my employer. I consider giving speeches and lectures a burden that I'd rather not have to deal with. I'm just one of thousands of programmers who show up at work every day without the need for fame or renown. I'm just a bit more vocal with my opinions than many.

> >As for "petty" - If being petty keeps putting large checks in my bank account
> >then I'll keep being petty - it has worked pretty well so far and I don't have
> >to live in the U.K. I'd never work for Oracle either - they don't pay enough
> >and prefer to keep young, inexperienced programmers on their staff because the
> >prefer sheep rather than shepards.
> You are petty and shallow if large checks turn you on. As for your
> comments on the UK, I just think you are a extremely racist and
> defamatory, the Oracle forums do not need this, go elsewhere and be
> bigoted. Basically you lost an argument, and petty is not near apt
> enough a description for you.

Why shouldn't large checks turn me on? They have bought a nice house in the 'burbs. They have bought things that makes life comfortable for my wife and I. I have savings towards retirement. I have a nice car. I have recruiters calling me all the time trying to get me to fill one of their positions. I think I'll keep my large checks. I don't consider making more money synonymous with losing an argument - I suspect that quite the opposite has occurred. Think about it. Received on Thu Jul 29 1999 - 07:29:30 CDT