Re: Oracle #1? Then why are these still missing...

From: Mark Styles <styles-nospam_at_lambic.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 10:41:48 GMT

gary_at_onegoodidea.com (Gary O'Keefe) instructed their monkeys to type:
>Mark Styles wrote:
>>gary_at_onegoodidea.com (Gary O'Keefe) instructed their monkeys to type:
>
>Monkey butlers are the best, aren't they? Everyone should have a
>monkey butler.

I couldn't survive without mine!

>>What about if you're using it for debug? Personally I use DBMS_PIPE
>>for debugging, but some people use DBMS_OUTPUT, and like to be able to
>>turn it on only when they need to debug.
>
>Then the default behaviour should be to display the output unless told
>otherwise.

Why? So that a whole bunch of system maintainers get pissed off because suddenly their system is doing the reverse of what it's supposed to do?

>>PL/SQL isn't designed for file and print handling. Oracle have
>>supplied some packages to give us some outside of the DB
>>functionality, but fundamentally PL/SQL is designed to manipulate data
>>in a relational database.
>
>Yeah, but no man is an island. The database exists in an environment
>where data has to be collated from a vast number of different sources,
>and it has to be distributed to a wide variety of destinations.

But the environment is *open*. The biggest part of open systems is the interoperability between products. A single product doesn't have to be able to do everything, as long as it can interface with other products. The developer can choose which products suit their needs.

Mark Styles
Oracle developer and DBA
http://www.lambic.co.uk/company Received on Thu Jul 29 1999 - 05:41:48 CDT