Pro*C vs. PL-SQL running in SQL-Plus

From: C. A. Braam <cbraam_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 20:40:00 -0400

We currently have several small modules as PL-SQL in SQL-Plus. These modules are triggered from a Pro*C program which monitors the multi-threaded processing of the scripts. PL-SQL/SQL-Plus modules handle inserts and updates to the database. Generally these modules are very small with specific tasks. Purely database access for moving data from transaction side to warehouse side of operation. A question has recently come up whether to migrate the PL-SQL processing over to Pro*C for performance reasons. I believe that they were written in PL-SQL mainly for ease of maintenance and because they mostly perform database requests. Will a substantial gain be made by moving these PL-SQL/SQL- Plus modules to Pro*C. I believe that it would probably be easier to move them into the database as stored procs to have both the performance improvement and ease of maintenance. Stored procs are compiled so startup time is improved. All processing is done on a the Sequent (AIX) box which houses the data warehouse. Processing isn't bad. We're just planning for future growth. Any input is greatly appreciated.

cbraam_at_earthlink.net Received on Wed Jul 28 1999 - 19:40:00 CDT