Re: RAID Storage for Oracle

From: FishinJT <fishinjt_at_aol.com>
Date: 28 Jul 1999 20:49:00 GMT

>Does anyone know what level RAID storage Oracle recommends? A fellow
>DBA just got back from an Oracle 8 course and informed me that we
>should not be using RAID5 as it stripe's the data and is a serious
>performance hit. Any information would be helpful.

That's an awful big blanket statement. I think it really depends on what you are using the system for. We have a large SAP/Oracle system. It currently does way more reads then writes and writes are isolated to a few filesystems. We set up an A3500 with RAID5 LUNS and then striped across the LUNS using Veritas. Read performance is spectacular! Writes suffer a little but the striping helps to minimize the penalty, plus we don't do very many writes on these particular filesystems. While the RAID5 may have some performance hit the ability to keep going after a disk loss makes me feel a lot better..... But for things like logs, arch, temp space, roll backs I would avoid RAID 5.

HTH,
john

John Stachlewicz
Sys Admin