Re: SMON's coalesce & PCTINCREASE

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:57:05 -0400

This message emailed to quidam 17 at
<379F3A3E.EB824A94_at_hotmail.com>...

Yes, but ...

    If you make every object in the tablespace you don't have to coalesce. So a good strategy is to make PCTINCREASE 0 for the tablespace and everything in it, set up a default storage clause for the tablespace with INITIAL and NEXT having the same value, and not including storage clauses for your tables and indexes (-- of course you should try to keep the indexes and tables separated -- preferably on separate disk drives).

regards
Jerry Gitomer
quidam 17 wrote in message <379F3A3E.EB824A94_at_hotmail.com>...
>No...
>
>SMON will coalesce tablespace only if PCTINCREASE is greater
than 0...

>To avoid "out of control" growing of table or index created
without pctincrease
>parameter set, just specify "pctincrease 1" in the default
storage for your
>tablespace...
>
>quidam17
>
>Alan Moorman wrote:
>
>> It's my understanding that the STORAGE clause on tablespaces
is simply to
>> establish defaults for objects created in that tablespace
which don't
>> explicitly state STORAGE.
>>
>> That said, if the tablespace's STORAGE says PCTINCREASE 0, but
every object
>> created in the tablespace says PCTINCREASE 1, will SMON
coalesce the