Re: Oracle #1? Then why are these still missing...

From: Mark Styles <styles-nospam_at_lambic.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:28:47 GMT

gary_at_onegoodidea.com (Gary O'Keefe) instructed their monkeys to type:

>3. Printing without having to "set serveroutput on" and
>"dbms_output.enable(...)". I want to print. I wouldn't have written a
>script with dbms_output.put_line if I didn't want to see it.

What about if you're using it for debug? Personally I use DBMS_PIPE for debugging, but some people use DBMS_OUTPUT, and like to be able to turn it on only when they need to debug.

>4. Raise the output buffer size > 1Mb. This is the 90's for goodness
>sake. Are we still farting around with teeny DBs? I don't think so.

It already is more than 1Mb

>The file and print handling in Oracle is so bad that I have given up
>on PL/SQL in favour of perl. Using the DBD interface is about as fast
>as PL/SQL and it is *so much* easier to manipulate and format the
>results of queries it is untrue.

PL/SQL isn't designed for file and print handling. Oracle have supplied some packages to give us some outside of the DB functionality, but fundamentally PL/SQL is designed to manipulate data in a relational database.

If you want true database/OS interaction, use any of the Pro* compilers, or use perl.

Mark Styles
Oracle developer and DBA
http://www.lambic.co.uk/company Received on Wed Jul 28 1999 - 10:28:47 CDT