Unnecessary Fields in SQL*Loader?

From: Mark M. <spam_at_meagain.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:29:27 GMT

I'm attempting to write a .CTL file SQL*Loader and have hit a road block.

How do I handle fields in a variable length input file that I do not need?

For example:

BIDR_IDNTFCTN_NBR	CHAR(10) TERMINATED BY '|',
JUNK			CHAR(5) TERMINATED BY '|',
RQN_ID		CHAR(15) TERMINATED BY '|',

Suppose I had the above, with the field identified as JUNK not being necessary for the table I am trying to insert to. What would be an appropriate method of making SQL*Loader bypass this field? The problem seems to lie in the fact that the input is variable length, and I cannot specify a POSITION parameter for RQN_ID since I do not know whether there will be a value in JUNK or not.

Does anyone know of any workarounds, or solutions that I just have not thought of.

Much appreciated,

-Mark M. Received on Wed Jul 28 1999 - 08:29:27 CDT