Re: ODBC vs Pro*c or OCI

From: Norris <johnnie_at_cooper.com.hk>
Date: 28 Jul 1999 03:45:29 GMT

What is YMMV?

In comp.databases.oracle.misc Fuzzy <granta_at_nospam.student.canberra.edu.au> wrote: : On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 19:38:45 GMT, Furkan Khan <khanf_at_home.com> wrote:

:>Folks, I am building a very high performance
:>distributed application for the internet. I have a
:>minimum requirement of at least 400 transaction/s (profiled on
:>low end solaris box).
:>
:>What are the pros and cons of using ODBC vs pro*c or OCI ?
:>I am interested in performance issues/experiences using
:>ODBC. How is connection pooling in Oracle ODBC driver ?
:>Are there any gotchas with ODBC for high performance
:>solutions ?

: Lots of replies about slow ODBC. ODBC can be as fast as the OCI if

: a) You have a good DB design
: b) You have well structured queries
: c) Your programmers know what they're doing.

: Intersolv had some nice tests two years ago showing ODBC to be FASTER
: than OCI for inserts and deletes (though YMMV). ODBC means you aren't : tied to Oracle's proprietary technology.

: Pro*C has the usual proprietary gotcha's, but seems to perform nicely : on the sites I've seen it.

: Ciao
: Fuzzy
: :-)

--