Re: ora-1652 Help Please

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 23:39:51 +0200

Yes and no.
In 7.3 and higher you can resize a datafile (alter database datafile '<filename> resize <xxx>M) and that should be preferred above adding just another file. The strange thing though is that if your initial extent is 10M and your next extent is 10M, and max extents is 121, this means that tablespace is evidently too small. In an ideal world the initial extent, next extent and max extents should be calculated so that all space (minus the header block of course) is used up. 10M initial looks like a bit too big, especially for sorts that just exceed sort_area_size.
I usually start at 1M, and tune it later. You may want to consider the tablespace a temporary tablespace (alter tablespace temp temporary) at the same time, this make sure temporary segments are allocated in the same manner as rollback segments.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA