Re: Trouble with views - quick one this

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 21:55:13 +0800

Peter Shaw wrote:

> > In SQL*Plus:
> >
> > select * from sales;
> >
> > This is fundamental and should be really obvious. I think you need to ask
> > yourself if you are reading the right documentation. You really need to
> > get to grips with SQL before delving too deeply into PL/SQL.
>
> Thanks Richard, my self-confidence is sky-high now :-)! It would appear that
> my confusion lies in what a "view" is. There's me thinking it was going to be
> some kind of GUI to allow me to view and enter data into multiple tables,
> when all of the time it appears to be a stored Select statement with some
> formatting! Isn't it?
>
> Does such a graphical thing exist in Oracle (Forms in Access and Paradox) or
> do you have to write an application which interacts with the database to
> achieve this kind of access?
>
> I will soldier on with my Oracle documentation and stop trying to run before
> I can walk - sorry for boring the more adept group members. I'm just too
> keen, thats my problem.
>
> yours tongue in cheek
>
> --
> Peter
> <peter.shaw_at_tiu.co.uk>

A great read which almost no-one reads is:

Application Developers Guide
and
Server Concepts

which comes with the server documentation. It contains a thorough insight from both a DBA and Developers perspective...

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Tue Jul 27 1999 - 08:55:13 CDT