Re: redo log problem

From: Lothar Armbrüster <lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de>
Date: 27 Jul 99 22:21:29 +0100

Lee Ming Fai wrote on 15-Jul-99 09:04:25:
>hi,

>our database always log the following message in the alert log at the
>peek hour:

>Thu Jul 15 07:04:58 1999
>Thread 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence 44265

[...]

>Checkpoint not complete

>is it told me that three groups of redo logs is not enough for our db?

>What's the meaning and effect for the message "Checkpoint not
>complete"? lost data? or just cannot write the log?

Well, as far as I know, it just means that all redo log members are currently in use so that the database has to wait until one of them get free again. This is just a performance issue, you will not loose any data. The database just decreases in performance. I had similar messages in my alert log. Creating additional redo log groups helped just a bit. It turned out later that my redo logs were far too small. So you have two options:

  1. Add one or two additional redo log groups
  2. Increase the size of your redo logs

Perhaps there is someone more experienced to help you decide which one is the right for you. Or simply give it a try. ;-)

Hope that helps,
Lothar

--
Neue Adresse ab 10.07.'99:

Lothar Armbrüster       | lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de
Hauptstr. 26            | lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de
D-65346 Eltville        |