Re: Speed of Oracle8 ?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:48:12 -0400

Hi,

    To answer your original question --

"Problem:
Project with about 700 Queries per second (from simple lookup to very complex queries). Too much for Oracle8?"

    Given a broad job mix Oracle 8 is just about the fastest RDBMS going. You can handle 700 queries per second with Oracle 8. (If I did my math correctly that comes out to just over 6,000,000 queries per day).

"And what hardware is needed if it is possible with Oracle8?"

    Depends on the complexity of the queries, how well the database is tuned and how well the individual queries are tuned. If the 6,000,000 queries per day is real you had better expect to run a server with around 8GB of RAM, hire at least two heavy duty DBAs, and get your management to realize that they have to be prepared to spend, spend, spend.

regards
Jerry Gitomer

C. Fischer wrote in message <7nima4$j13$1_at_news05.btx.dtag.de>...
>Hi, hr784_at_cleveland.freenet.edu
>
>hr784_at_cleveland.freenet.edu wrote:
>
>>This is a question that will be very difficult to answer. As
far as
>>speed is concerned, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a
faster main
>>stream database. Informix is also fast but has many DBA
functions built
>>into the database engine.
>
>>Some question would be;
>
>>What kind of hardware are you running this on? If it on an IDE
>>controller running in NT then you may have a problem as apposed
to fiber
>>channels to/from EMC/SUN/Boxhill disk arrays.
>
>At this time we are in the design-phase. The hardware must be
>determined later, after the software is selected. That will be
the
>next problem (the money...).
>
>>A properly tuned database will have a big effect on your speed.
I've