Re: Connect problems with SQL*Net

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:12:25 +0200

Hi Uwe,
ORA-1034 usually means either the database is not running, or the process connecting is not having sufficient privilege to read the SGA. Refer to the privileges of $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/sgadef<sid>.dbf. This file should be owned by Oracle, user dba, chmod 477.
You don't have accidentally NIS running? I had a similar situation once where the uid in my local password file was different from the one managed by NIS. The uid is stored with the file, not the username. That was the reason why I was getting ORA-1034s.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA