Need help with Oracle AOL tables...

From: Simon <jjosserand_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:53:44 -0500

I am writing code to automatically create new accounting segments (children only) for a customer.
I am to the point of having all my validations working except one. I need to take a column name as data in a variable from one table and in plsql use that data as a column specification to validate other data in another table. There used to be a "NAME_IN" feature of sqlplus that allowed operations like this (circa 1991).

TABLE A contains a column called attribute that tells me which of 50 attributes in another table contains data that needs to be validated against a particular value set's parameters. For instance, ATTRIBUTE1 might be the data returned from TABLE A.

TABLE B contains 50 columns called attributes that I must use the previous data (i.e., ATTRIBUTE1) to access the ATTRIBUTE1 column of TABLE B, in plsql.

How can I specify TABLEB.&TABLEA.ATTRIBUTE such that the result is TABLEB.ATTRIBUTE1 ??? Please help...
Thanks in advance! Received on Tue Jul 27 1999 - 14:53:44 CDT