Re: create tablespace, very slow

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:22:18 -0400

Jin Bo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have Oracle8.0.5 on hpux10.20, hpux11.0(32bit), and hpux11.0(64bit).
>
> When I add tablespaces to existing database in hpux11.0, it takes about
> 10 minutes to create a 1G datafile, that's fine. But in hpux10.20, it
> takes
> 1 hour for the same size.
>
> I've tried to set db_file_direct_io_count to various values but got no
> improvement.

This may be a dumb question, but is it possible that the file system slice where you are creating the tablespace with hpux is mounted via NFS? If so, then you are lucky it is only taking an hour to create the tablespace. If this isn't true, then what type of disk storage are you using? RAID? IDE? SCSI? All these things can have a factor in how long it takes to create a tablespace. Rember, the process doesn't just allocate the storage, the datafile is also "formatted" and segment information is stored in the system tables.

Ken Received on Tue Jul 27 1999 - 07:22:18 CDT