Re: Newbie Question - 2nd instance

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:07:15 -0400

Just Visting wrote:

> I'd like to create a 2nd Oracle instance.
> What procedure(s) do I run to accomplish this?
> I'm willing to RTFM is I knew which FM to read.
> Any hints, pointers or directions would be
> greatly appreciated.

One possible source of a script to create a second instance is the script that was created when the first instance was created. Look around on your system for a script called createdb.sql - it will have basically everything you need. You'll have to edit the file to come up with new file names/locations and you'll need to make some other changes, but they should be pretty much obvious once you take a look at the script. One thing I don't remember about the createdb script is whether it runs catalog.sql, catproc.sql and catdbsyn.sql. If those are not part of the createdb.sql script you'll have to either add them or run them after the instance is created.

Alternatively, you might try to modify the script I've attached.