Re: Autonumbering

From: Kingsley Sawyers <no_at_way.im.telling>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:07:36 +0100

Erm - this is getting very deep, isn't it?

A trigger - to answer the other thread - is a piece of code which is fired by the database automatically upon a particular action: typically, this would be upon inserting a record into a table, in your case. You need if you want to save the trouble of referring specifically to your sequence each time you insert records.

Regarding your questions below: Oracle stores all objects within it's datafiles. To recreate the database on another server, you could restore a backup of these datafiles from the original source.

I can't help you much more with this: can I suggest you either get some Oracle training, or follow a good book. The rating system used by Amazon could point you to some good ones.

Sorry!

Kingsley