connectstring in a select-clause

From: Roland Kopetzky <kopetzky_at_ike.uni-stuttgart.de>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:45:00 +0200

Hey Experts,

I have two Oracle databases running on two different platforms. On a unix platform there is running Oracle 7.3.3 and on a NT-platform there is running an Oracle 8.0.3.

The statements select * form global_name retrieve: WG73.world on the Unix-platform
ARKU.world on the NT platform

The TNSNAMES.ORA-contents on both platforms is:

rubin8.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = 95.95.95.2)
(Port = 1521)
) (ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = 95.95.95.2)
(Port = 1526)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ARKU)
    )
  )
jade7.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = jade)
(Port = 1521)
) (ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = jade)
(Port = 1526)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = WG73)
    )
  )

What I want to know is how to select data form one database when I am connected to the other. I would prefer to be connected to the NT-Oracle and to select data from the Unix-Oracle, but I think, it would be possible to do it vice versa as well.

When I am connected to NT-Oracle and I try:

select * from ais.alk_at_wg73.world
or
select * from ais.alk_at_jade7.world

                      *

I always get the error
ORA-02019: connection description for remote database not found

Is this a distributed database problem? Should I set distributed option and if so, how can I do this?

Has anyone an idea what I have to configure or how I need to write the sql-statement to succeed?

Thanks for every advice.

Yours sincerely

Manfred Tischendorf (tischendorf_at_arkusa.de) Received on Tue Jul 27 1999 - 01:45:00 CDT