Net8 connection problem through IP translation

From: Hop Pham <Pham_Hop_at_bah.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:13:19 -0500

Hi,

I ran into a Net8 configuration problem, and wondered if anyone had similiar experiences. We have a private lab (IP 10.1.x.x) that connects to our company's class B network (156.80.x.x) via a router that does IP translation (i.e., Oracle server in the lab with real IP 10.1.x.5 will be seen by outside hosts as 156.80.x.5). Here is the trouble scenario:

+ Outside Oracle clients (IP 156.80.x.x) can NOT access Oracle server
(IP 10.1.x.5) inside lab via Net8. From outside host, I can ping inside Oracle server, and can also tnsping inside server as well (using translated IP 156.80.x.5); Net8 clients (Net8 Assistant & sqlplus) failed.

+ Inside Oracle clients (IP 10.1.x.x) has NO problem accessing outside
Oracle servers (real IP 156.80.x.5) via Net8. No IP address translation for outside Oracle server packets getting to inside clients.

My network guy said it's an Oracle client software problem. Oracle said that it's a network problem. Any ideas, folks? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hop Pham
Booz-Allen & Hamilton
pham_hop_at_bah.com Received on Mon Jul 26 1999 - 14:13:19 CDT