Re: PL/SQL: commit, savepoint and roll

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:55:48 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Peter Laursen" < ptl_at_edbgruppen.dk> (if that email address didn't require changing) On 26 Jul 1999 09:11:32 GMT, you wrote:

>Hello All
>I need to do two inserts stmts in a PL/SQL procedure. Either both must fail
>or both may commit.
>
>Could someone give a simple codeexample?

 begin

    insert into a values ( 1 );
    insert into b values ( 2 );
 end;

they either will BOTH succeed or not. nothing else can happen.

>How do I deal with autocommit? Must I save the original autocommit value,
>set it to false and then reset it to its original value?

autocommit is a sqlplus thing, no need to worry about it. if autocommit is TRUE, after the plsql block is executed, sqlplus is issue a COMMIT commiting either BOTH rows into the database (or neither if either insert failed)

>Thanks
>Peter

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Jul 26 1999 - 07:55:48 CDT