Re: Standard DES encryption in stored proc/function

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:53:18 +0800

Glen Upreti wrote:

> I am new with encryption and all that and I have the need to decrypt a
> value that is stored in the database. I know what the key(s) are, and
> the app people claim in their doc that they are using NSA Standard DES.
>
> I was originally going to work with a programmer and have him write the
> encrypt/decrypt program outside of the rdbms, but then I thought wait
> what if there already is one for oracle that is within oracle, that
> would be better, I think...
> So I am just curious to see if anyone has comments, suggestions or
> anything.
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Glen
> please send a response to my email address.
> thanks
>
> --
> |-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-|
> Glen Upreti
> Senior Oracle DBA
> Northern Arizona University
> Phone (520)523-8393 Fax(520)523-7407
> Glen.Upreti_at_NOSPAMnau.edu

> Name: Glen.Upreti.vcf
> Part 1.2 Type: text/x-vcard
> Encoding: 7bit

To my knowledge, there is no DES within the database, but if you had the appropriate modules in (say) C, then you could use external procedures (8 and above) to implement them "in" the database.

Cheers
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Mon Jul 26 1999 - 07:53:18 CDT