Re: os authentication question

From: Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 26 Jul 1999 15:38:02 -0400

Doeni <doeni_at_evhr.net> writes:

> kshave_at_health.gov.mb.ca wrote:
> >
> > Is it possible to log into an NT file server and have this password
> > authenticate you for all Oracle databases, no matter what machine the
> > database resides on? I know it works if the database resides on the
> > same machine you are logging into, but I'm curious to know if you can
> > use this for more.

Sure. Just make sure that the database user is created as identified externally on all of the databases.

> > -Keith

> remote_os_authent=TRUE in init.ora
> But be aware of the security hole.

The name of this variable is a misnomer. It means to trust the username sent by the client. In the case of NT authentication, the Oracle server consults the operating system to see if the client been authenticated, rather than blindly trusting the name sent by the client. Bottom line: this variable does not need to be set for NT authentication to work. In addition, it is a security hole so it should not be set to TRUE in any case. --

                                        Rick
                                        Rick Wessman
                                        Security and Directory Technologies
                                        Server Technologies