Re: pro-cobol types problems

From: Erik Hage <nicxragua_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 99 18:37:38 GMT

In article <7n9tkb$jng$1_at_wanadoo.fr>, "xyric" <xyric_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>I want to feed varchar2-columns of a table with host variables. I tried PIC
>X(n) VARYING hosts variables but got this error :
>ORA-01458: invalid lenght inside variable character string
>
>Is there any termination-character to set or whatever ?...
>thanks for help.

"PIC X(n) VARYING." should work fine.
Our old version of PRO*COBOL requires that variables are declared at the 01 level (will not accept 77 level). (Don't remember version number, was bought with ORACLE 7.1.4).

You don't have to declare COBOL host variables "VARYING" unless you want to have trailing white-space characters stored in the VARCHAR2 coloumns.

Erik Received on Mon Jul 26 1999 - 13:37:38 CDT