Re: RAID-5 STRIPING SIZE ON WINDOWS NT SERVER

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 20:49:39 +0100

Question:

When asking for a stripe size, does NT mean the amount of data to be written to a single physical device before moving on to the next device - or does it mean the total amount of data within a single stripe that covers all the relevant devices ?

The terminology I am more used to on Unix boxes is:

stripe size -

    amount of data in a single stripe that crosses     all disks in the stripe set

chunk size -

    amount of data per disk (in a stripe).

So an 8K CHUNK size on a 5-disk raid-5
set would cater for a 40K stripe size (which means an effective 32K of data in a stripe, which might be appropriate in some cases) whilst an 8K STRIPE size would mean a
complete disaster if the system got a little busy.

--

Jonathan Lewis