Re: TNS:could not resolve service name

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 08:57:38 +0200

Hi Eric,
I can provide pointers only.
First of all, either in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/install or in $ORACLE_HOME/orainst there is a file which should have been logging all your installation choices and responses.
Secondly, the 12154 error tells us you try to connect using a servicename which doesn't exist in tnsnames.ora
The tnsnames.ora either resides in /var/opt/oracle or in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin. Typically the latter one is not touched during installation, it is only copied. It will definitely not contain the correct host name, and as far as I remember it contains references to localhost (127.0.0.1) only. If you don't have localhost in your /etc/hosts, this may be one source of problems. Anyhow, find the tnsnames.ora and verify it. Thirdly, the LCC error refers to a problem in your $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init<sid>.ora. Somewhere there is a parameter which doesn't have a value associated.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA