Re: Setting DATE/TIME to GMT

From: Chris Nelson <chrisnelson_at_eaton.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 16:00:19 -0400

Hi, John.

I have no technical answer for you, unfortunately, but I do have one thing you might want to watch out for:

The Brits have 'summer time' the same way that we have 'daylight time', but the scheduling is about a week different from ours, if I recall correctly. (They start a week earlier in the spring, and I don't recall if they change a week later in the fall or not.) A lot of Brits that I work with seem to regard 'BST' (British Summer Time) as equivalent to 'GMT'. I suspect that is just like less-precise Americans regard 'EDT' and 'EST' (for example) to be the same, because I don't think 'GMT' and 'BST' are equal.

So if you DON'T set your OS time, then I think you will always have to wrestle with these questions.

Chris