Re: Newbie Question - 2nd instance

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 19:07:31 +0200

It would have been helpful if you would have specified your platform. On NT this is an issue of running ORADIM<xx> in GUI mode and create a new instance.
Make sure you have the correct init<sid>.ora before you start to do this. Info on oradim usually is in the getting started manual and/or the NT specific installation manual.
The same roughly applies to Unix port.
Here it should be possible to use orainst. I never did that, I always followed the manual procedure: - editing /etc/oratab (/var/opt/oracle/oratab on Solaris) to add the new instance

- write a create database script
- set ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME by running . oraenv.
- issue

  svrmgrl
  connect internal
  startup nomount
rem say prayers
  @<the create database script>
  spool $HOME/catlog.log
  ?/rdbms/admin/catalog.sql
spool $HOME/catproc.log
 ?/rdbms/admin/cataproc.sql
?/rdbms/admin/catexp.sql
rem ready
exit

Of course you need to create a second rollback segment in the system tablespace etc, etc.
(and copy and paste the code above)

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA