Turning ARCHIVELOGMODE off and on

From: <mohotta_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 19:23:06 GMT

We are gradually migrating database applications from Paradox to Oracle 7.3. The trouble is: I don't want the database to be running in ARCHIVELOGMODE all the time. When I'm about to load a lot of data into Oracle, I don't want to create a lot of redo entries. Is it possible to:

--Run in ARCHIVELOGMODE for a time;
--Take the whole database off line;
--Perform a full physical backup;
--Bring the database back on line;
--Alter the system to run with ARCHIVELOGMODE off;
--Load my data;
--Take the whole database off line again;
--Perform another full physical backup;
--Bring the database back on line, this time with ARCHIVELOGMODE on?

I realize that any redo log files from the earlier ARCHIVELOGMODE period will be rendered useless. Even so, is this an OK idea?

Alton Chinn
SF Planning Dept

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jul 23 1999 - 14:23:06 CDT